2021 Advanced Management of the Neurologic Shoulder
- Date(s): February 06, 2021 – February 07, 2021
- Times: Saturday, 8:00AM - 5:00PM; Sunday, 8:00AM - 12:00PM
Brooks Rehabilitation Hospital
Assembly Room 1 & 2
3599 University Blvd South
Jacksonville, FL 32216
The shoulder is a complex joint in well-bodied individuals. With the addition of a central nervous system injury/disorder, the shoulder becomes a very challenging area to examine, evaluate and treat effectively. The focus of this two day course is to provide therapists and therapist assistants the advanced clinical knowledge on the management of the neurologic shoulder.
PTs and OTs:
- Demonstrate and describe the requirements for optimal shoulder girdle alignment, stability and mobility.
- Identify the number of fully innervated muscles of the shoulder girdle for each cervical level and its impact on shoulder girdle alignment, stability and mobility.
- Demonstrate the components of examination and evaluation of the shoulder girdle for mobility, alignment and stability.
- Demonstrate and describe treatment interventions for preparing the neurologic shoulder for function.
- Demonstrate assessment techniques for physical capability with function through activity analysis, and treatment progression.
PTAs and COTAs:
- Describe the impact of spinal cord injury, CVAs and other neurologic injuries on shoulder function.
- Demonstrate understanding of safe handling and positioning techniques for managing patients with acute CVAs and flaccid UEs.
- Teach patients to perform scapular strengthening exercises utilizing isometric holds, eccentrics and concentric training.
- Demonstrate understanding for use of skateboards, arm/shoulder slings, and Mobile Arm Supports for interventions and UE strengthening.
- Describe benefits of a Constrained Induced Movement Therapy (CIMT) program for appropriate hemiplegic patients.
- demonstrate and perform shoulder stretching and strengthening exercises for the patient with SCI for prevention of injury.
Michael Braun, MSOT, OTR/L, BCPR
Tim Shreve, PT, OCS, FAAOMPT
Neal Covas, PT, DPT, NCSIntended Audience:
The information presented in this course is clinically relevant for licensed Physical Therapist (PT), Physical Therapy Assistant (PTA), Occupational Therapist (OT) and Occupational Therapy Assistant (OTA) designations only.CEUs:
This course has been approved for 13 hours (1.3 CEUs) by the following boards:
- Florida Physical Therapy Association
- Florida Board of Occupational Therapy
Based on the criterion provided by the AOTA this is a category 1 advanced course that falls into the group of general practice/health/medical.Disclaimer: Registrations from individuals with clinical designations not listed in the intended audience for this course may be subject to removal from the course roster without a full refund. See Brooks IHL Course Policies and Procedures for details. If you are unsure or have questions related to the intended audience, please email info@BrooksIHL.org and we will be happy to help clarify!
Simply select the number of tickets you wish to purchase and click the "Order Now" button to pay by credit card. After payment, you will receive an email confirmation of enrollment. Having trouble seeing the prices below? Click HERE!Continuing Education