- Anita Davis
- Christina Harder
- Christine Sapienza
- Eric Shamus
- Geoff Willard
- Isabel Lawton
- Jacqueline Osborne
- Jason Beneciuk
- Jennifer Quartano
- Jill Boissonnault
- Jodi Morgan
- Julie Braun
- Julie Watson
- Laura Langer
- Linda Fritzinger-Hearn
- Mark Bishop
- Mary Mohay
- Michael Bourassa
- Nata Salvatori
- Nicole Stout
- Pamela Spigel
- Raine Osborne
- Robert Rowe
- Ron Schenk
- Sarah LaRosa
- Stephanie Bush
- Timothy Shreve
- Trent Harrison
- Virgil Wittmer
- Walt Weiss
Nicole Stout, DPT, CLT-LANA, FAPTA
- IHL Role: Continuing Education Course Instructor
- Employer: 3eServices, LLC
- Email: email@example.com
& Professional Activites
Dr. Nicole L. Stout is a renowned health care researcher, consultant, educator and advocate. She is an internationally recognized expert and leader in cancer rehabilitation and lymphedema. She holds adjunct faculty appointments at the University of Alabama Birmingham, University of Missouri and hold appointments on the State of Maryland Cancer Control Survivorship committee, the American Lymphedema Framework steering committee and CARF international advisory standards board for cancer rehabilitation. Dr. Stout is also an elected member of the Board of Directors of the American Physical Therapy Association. She is an investigator on two clinical trials studying breast cancer morbidity through the National Institutes of Health. Her research publications have been foundational in developing the Prospective Surveillance Model for breast cancer rehabilitation.
She has authored and co-authored over 30 peer-review publications, several book chapters and is the coauthor of the book 100 Questions and Answers about Lymphedema.
She currently serves as an executive IT consultant identifying innovative health system, policy, and marketing solutions through the use of health IT and data analytics. Her expertise offers clients a unique perspective on business intelligence in the health care sector.
Doctor of Physical Therapy
Massachusetts General Hospital Institute of Health Professions
Post-graduate certificate in Health Policy
George Washington University School of Public Health
Master of Physical Therapy
Bachelor of Science
Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania
- Survivorship Care
- Exercise and Cancer prevention
- Palliative Care
- Health Care Policy
- International Society of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Cancer Rehabilitation Networking group co-chair - Global Initiative in Cancer Disability Prevention and Management.
- NIH Cancer Rehabilitation Subject Matter Expert Panel – National initiative project director and SME panel member.
- Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) – International Standards Advisory Board- Cancer Rehabilitation Programs.
- American Physical Therapy Association – Media Spokesperson
- McGill University Surgical Oncology Pre-habilitation Subject Matter Expert Panel – International initiative in cancer pre-habilitation.
- American Physical Therapy Association National Outcomes Registry Past Task Force Chair:
- Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene – State of Maryland Cancer Collaborative Committee, past committee chair. 2011 – 2013
- American Cancer Society - Planning committee, co-chair and invited expert panel member. 2011- 2013. “Expert roundtable meeting on a prospective model of care for breast cancer rehabilitation”
- International Compression Therapy Consensus Group- 2009 - 2016
- Invited medical expert and advisor
- United Kingdom Lymphedema Framework consensus project- Invited Medical Expert Advisor –
- American Lymphedema Framework consensus project – medical advisor and steering committee members.
Professional Leadership and Membership Roles:
- American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties: Oncology Specialty Council Chair 2016 - 2020
- American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine: Cancer Rehabilitation Networking Group – Co-Founder, Education committee co-chair, Past board secretary, Annual Conference programming committee member
- Lymphedema Advocacy Group – Past member of board of directors
- American Society of Clinical Oncology – accepted to membership January 2011
- American Physical Therapy Association: Past member of board of directors, Specialty Section Membership: Oncology Section (past president 2003-2008), Section on Research, Health Policy and Administration, Chapter Membership: Florida
Peer Review Publications:
- Stout NL, Baima J, Swisher A, Winters-Stone K. A Systematic Review of Existing Exercise Systematic Reviews in the Cancer Literature: 2005 – 2017. PM&R, 2017. 9(9), s347-s384.
- Maltser S., Cristian A., Silver J.K., Morris G.S., Stout N.L. A Focused Review of Safety Considerations in Cancer Rehabilitation. PM&R, 2017. 9(9), s415-s428.
- Carli, F., Silver, J., Feldman L, McKee A, Gilman, S., Gillis, C., Scheede-Bergdhl, Cl, Gamsa, A., Stout, NL, Hirsch, B. Surgical Prehabilitation in Cancer Patients: State of the Science and Recommendations for Future Research from a Panel of Subject Matter Experts. PM&R Clin NA, 2017. 28(1), 49-64.
- Stout, N. L., Silver, J. K., Raj, V. S., Rowland, J., Gerber, L., et al. Towards a National Initiative in Cancer Rehabilitation: Recommendations from a Subject Matter Expert Group. Arch of PM&R, 2016. 97(11), 2006-2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2016.05.002
- Stout NL, Harrington S, Pfalzer L, Fisher M. Breast Cancer Rehabilitation: Clinical Examination and Outcomes Assessment. Topics in Geriatric Rehab, 2015. 31(4), 258-272. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/TGR.0000000000000082
- Shaitelman S, Cromwell K, Rausmussen J, Stout NL, Armer J, Lasinski B, Cormier J. Recent Progress in Cancer-Related Lymphedema Treatment and Prevention. Ca: Cancer J Clin. 2015. 65(1), 55-81. DOI: 10.3322/caac.21253.
- Demark-Wahnafried W, Rogers L, Alfano C, Thomson C, Courneya K, Meyerhardt, J, Stout NL, Kvale E, Ganzer H, Ligibel J. Practical clinical interventions for diet, physical activity, and weight control in cancer survivors. Ca: Cancer J Clin. Accepted. Epub Feb 13, 2015. DOI: 10.3322/caac.21265.
- Stout NL, Weiss R, Feldman JL, Stewart BR, Armer J, Cormier JN, Shih YT. A systematic review of care delivery models and economic analyses in lymphedema: Health Policy Impact. Lymphology. 2013 46(1), 27-41.
- Galantino, ML. Stout, NL. Exercise interventions for upper-limb dysfunction due to breast cancer treatment. Phys Ther, 2013. Aug 1. Epub ahead of print.
- Stout NL, Partsch H, Szolnoky G, Forner- Cordero I, Mosti G, Mortimer P, Flour M, Damstra R, Piller N, Geyer M, Benigni J, Moffat C, Cornu-Thenard A, Schingale F, Clark M, Chauveau M. Chronic Oedema of the Lower Extremities; International Consensus Recommendations for Compression Therapy Clinical Research Trials. Int Angiol. 2012 August; 31(4): 316-29.
- Feldman J, Stout NL, Wanchai A, Stewart B, Cormier J, Armer J. Intermittent Pneumatic Compression Therapy: A systematic review. Lymphology. 2012 Mar;45(1):13-25.
- Stout NL, Binkley J, Schmitz K, Andrews K, Hayes S, Campbell K, McNeeley M, Soballe P, Berger A, Cheville A, Fabian C, Gerber L, Harris S, Johansson K, Pusic A, Prosnitz P, Smith R. Prospective Surveillance Model for Rehabilitation for Women with Breast Cancer. Cancer. Vol 118 (8 suppl). 2012. 2191 – 2200.
- Gerber L, Stout NL, Stricker C, Schmitz K. Integrating a Prospective Surveillance Mode for Rehabilitation Into Breast Cancer Survivorship Care. Cancer. Vol 118 (8 suppl). 2012. 2201 – 2206.
- Hayes S, Johansson K, Stout NL, Prosnitz R, Armer J, Gabram S, Schmitz K. Upper-quadrant morbidity following breast cancer: identification and management in the construct of a prospective surveillance model. Cancer. Vol 118 (8 suppl). 2012. 2237 - 2249.
- Stout, NL. Pfalzer, L. Springer, B. Levy, E. McGarvey, C. Danoff, J. Gerber, L. Soballe, P. Breast Cancer Related Lymphedema: Comparing Direct Costs of a Prospective Surveillance Model to A Traditional Model of Care. PhysTher January 2012 92:152-163.
- Levy E. Pfalzer, L. Danoff, J. Springer B. McGarvey, C. Shieh, C. Morehead-Gee, A. Gerber, L., Stout, NL. Predictors of Functional Shoulder Recovery at One and 12 Months after Breast Cancer Surgery. Breast Ca Res Treat. 2012 Jul;134(1):315-24.
- Stout NL, Pfalzer C, Levy E, McGarvey C, Springer B, Gerber L, Soballe P. Risk profiles as a method to identify high risk for lymphedema in women with breast cancer. in review, January 2013.
- Stout NL, Pfalzer L, Levy E, McGarvey C, Springer B, Gerber L, Soballe P. Segmental Limb Volume Changes as a Predictor of the Onset of Lymphedema in Women with Early Breast Cancer. PM&R 3(2011), pp. 1098-1105.
- Morehead-Gee A, Pfalzer L, Levy E, McGarvey C, Springer B, Soballe P, Gerber L, Stout N. Racial disparities in physical and functional domains in women with early breast cancer. Support Care Cancer. 2011, Oct 7. Epub ahead of print. DOI: 10.1007/s00520-011-1285-7.
- Stout NL, Levy E, Pfalzer L. Upper Quadrant Impairments Associated with Cancer Treatment. Topics in Geri Rehab. July-Sept 21(3) 2011. 222-233.
- Stout NL, Brantus P, Moffatt, C. Lymphoedema management: An International Intersect between Developed and Developing countries. Similarities, differences and challenges. J Global Pub Health, Feb 24, 2011. 1-17.
- Gerber, L. Stout, NL. McGarvey, C. Soballe, P. Shieh, C. Diao, G. Springer, B.
- Pfalzer, L. Clinically Significant Fatigue in Women with Primary Breast Cancer. Support Care Cancer. 2011 Oct: 19(10): 1581-91.
- Partsch H, Stout NL, Forner-Cordero I, Flour M, Moffatt C et al. Consensus paper: Future clinical trials concerning compression therapy in breast cancer related lymphedema (BCRL). Proposals from an expert group. Int Angiol. Oct 29 (5). 2010. 436-41.
- Levangie, P. Santasier, A. Stout, NL. Pfalzer, L. A Qualitative Assessment of Upper Quarter Dysfunction Reported by Physical Therapists Treated for Breast Cancer or Treating Breast Cancer Sequelae. Support Care Cancer. 2011 Sep; 19(9): 1367-78.
- Springer, B. Levy, E. McGarvey, C. Pfalzer, L. Stout, NL. Gerber, L. Soballe, P. Danoff J. Pre-operative Assessment Enables Early Diagnosis and Recovery of Shoulder Function in Patients with Breast Cancer. Br Ca Res & Treat. Vol 120 (1). 2010. 135 – 42.
- Cormier, J. Feldman, J. Askew, R. Beck, M. Bernas, M. Francis, K. Fu, M. Lasinski, B. Rodrick, J. Stewart, B. Stewart, P. Stout, NL. Thrift, K. Tuppo, C. Weiss, B. Moffatt, C. Armer, J. ALFP to update the Best Practice document. J of Lymph. Vol 5 (1) 2010. 68-71.
- Armer, N. Armer, J. Stout, NL. Parker, V. Schneider, M. Norton, S. Stewart, B.
- Establishing a Means to Assess Cross-Cultural Teaching and Student Learning of Critical Lymphedema Management Curriculum. Lymphology. Vol 43 (3) suppl. 2010 245-249.
- Stout, N. Armer, J. Norton, S. Parker, V. Nikodem, C. USA-South African Partnership for Lymphoedema Education. J. of Lymph. Vol 4 (1). 2009. 59-64.
- Armer J, Feldman J, Fu M, Stout NL, Lasinski B, Tuppo C, Beck M et al. ALFP: identifying issues in lymphoedema in the US. J of Lymph Vol 4 (2). 2009. 85 – 91.
- Stout Gergich, N. Pfalzer, L. McGarvey, C. Springer, B. Gerber, L. Soballe, P. Pre-operative assessment enables early diagnosis and successful treatment of lymphedema. Cancer. 112 (12), June 15, 2008.
Books and Book Chapters:
- Stout NL. Special issue guest editor. Rehabilitation Oncology- Lymphedema. Wolters-Kluwer, January 2018.
- Demark-Wahnefried W, Rogers LQ, Alfano C, Thomson C, Courneya K, Meyerhardt JA, Stout NL, Kvale K, Ganzer H, Gansler T, Ligibel J. Diet, Physical Activity, and Weight Control for Cancer Patients and Survivors. In The American Cancer Society (eds) Principles of Oncology: Prevention to Survivorship. Atlanta. Wiley Blackwell. 2018.
- Stout NL, Nitkin R, Cernich, A, Chan L. Research Issues and Priorities in Cancer Rehabilitation. In Stubblefield, M. and O’Dell, M. (eds), Cancer Rehabilitation Principles and Practice. 2nd ed. Demos Medical Publishing, 2018.
- Stout NL. Early Identification and Conservative Treatment: Clinical Implications and Interventions. In Zuther, J. and Norton S (eds), Lymphedema Management: The Comprehensive Guide for Practitioners. 4th ed. Thiemes, 2016.
- Andrews K, Binkley J, Schmitz K, Smith R, Stout NL. Guest eds. Cancer supplement issue: “A Prospective Surveillance Model for Rehabilitation for Women with Breast Cancer.” Vol 118 (8), April 15, 2012.
- Stout NL. Special issue guest editor. Topics in Geriatric Rehabilitation– Cancer Rehabilitation. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, July-Sept, 27 (3), 2011.
- Thiadens S, Stewart P, Stout NL, 100 Questions about Lymphedema. Jones and Bartlett, 2009. ISBN: 13 978-0-7637-4989-7.
- Cheville A, Stout N. Preserving and Restoring Function after Local Treatment. In Harris J, Lippman M et al (eds), Diseases of the Breast, 4th ed. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, 2009.
- Cheville A, Gergich N. Lymphedema: Implications for Wound Care. In: PJ Sheffield, CE Fife, APS Smith (eds), Wound Care Practice, Flagstaff, AZ: Best Publishing, 2003; 285-304.
- Bell L, Stout NL. Using Low Level Light Laser in Your Lymphedema Practice; Benefits and Cautions. Rehab Oncology. 2018. 36(1), 70-72.
- Stout NL. How Registry Data Will Change Our Approach to Lymphedema Research and Clinical Management. Rehab Oncology. 36(1). 73-75.
- Stout NL. Lymphedema Management: The Next Decades. Rehab Oncology. 2018 36(1), 3-4.
- Spinelli B and Stout NL. Breast Cancer-Related Lymphedema. Home Study Monograph – Geriatric Section of the American Physical Therapy Association. 2018.
- Stout NL. Expanding the perspective on chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy management. Editorial, JCO. 35(23) August 2017. 2593-2594. DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2017.73.6207.
- Pfalzer L, Stout NL, Harrington S, Fisher MI. Toward a Research Agenda for Oncology Physical Therapy. Rehab Onc 2017;35(2), 99-101.
- Stout NL, Bell L. Application of Multi-Layer Compression System (29581-29584). CPTÒ Assistant. 2016 26(8).
- Stout, NL. "Clinical Conversation: Choosing Functional Outcomes Measures.” Rehab Onc 2014;32(2), 40-41.
- Stout NL. Peer Viewpoint: Exercise for the Cancer Survivor: All for one, but not one for all. J Support Oncol 2012;10:178–179.
- Stout NL, Andrews K, Binkley J, Schmitz K, Smith R. Stakeholder perspectives on dissemination and implementation of a Prospective Surveillance Model of Care for Women after Breast Cancer Treatment. Cancer 118(8 suppl): 2331 – 2335
- Schmitz, K. H., Stout, NL. et al. "Prospective Evaluation of Physical Rehabilitation Needs in Breast Cancer Survivors: A Call to Action." 2012. Cancer 118(8 suppl):2187 - 2190.
- Stout, NL. Cancer Prevention in Physical Therapist Practice. Health Policy in Perspective. Phys Ther. Vol 89 (11) 1119-22. 2009.
- Stout Gergich, NL. Early Diagnosis and Treatment Intervention For Lymphedema - The New Standard Of Care – Lymphlink. Vol. 21 No. 1. January 2009.
- Stout Gergich, N. Breast Cancer: The Role of the Physical Therapist. Home Study Monograph- Geriatric Section of the American Physical Therapy Association. 2008.